T116 - "Optimizing R&D Performance Through Metrics"
3rd Annual R&D Conference & 55th R&D 100 Awards,
Walt Disney Epcot Center, Orlando, FL, USA
November 6, 2017 -- [81 Pages]
Introduction: This presentation was made at the 3rd Annual R&D Conference and 55th R&D 100 Awards held November 16-17, 2017 at the Walt Disney Epcot Center in Orlando, Florida.
Description: The saying goes, "You get what you measure." It is no less meaningful now than when it was first coined. In fact, in this increasingly complex and risky global economy, this concept is even more important. Can you articulate your company's R&D strategy? Do you follow it? Do your measures specifically facilitate and support the stated strategy, or measure alignment to it? Are your measures purposefully selected and adhered to, or does everyone at the top get to show the measures they think are important? After all, there is only so much time in a meeting!
Did you know that if you don't select a specific set of measures that you end up with twice as many, twice the cost of measurement? How many measures should a VP R&D or CXO use? Do any of these measures correlate 1:1, or strongly, with actual results. Any KPIs in the group? Try to name a single measure that strongly correlates all the time with a specific performance expected of R&D.
In this presentation, four distinct R&D strategies will be discussed: Pure Innovator, Platform-Derivative, Balanced Portfolio, and Follower/Extender. Four case study metrics portfolios will be presented and metrics that support each strategy will be highlighted. Ranges for the number of metrics necessary will be illustrated. The goal is to improve R&D performance with the right approach and the right set of measures.
• Be in a better position to optimize R&D strategy and performance from the top of the organization.
• Get briefed on the newest and hottest metrics that are becoming generally adopted by industry.
• Understand the nuances of different R&D strategies through the nuances of metrics.
• Internalize 6 major groups of R&D Product Development measures and their purposes: CXO, Project-Process, Project-Product, Functional/Technical, Improvement, and Derivative/Rolled-Up.
• Learn the range of total measures that are really needed to manage R&D.
• Identify specific measures that support specific R&D strategies.
• Know the Top 25 R&D measures corporations use today and how they have changed in the past decade.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
For a copy of the Technical Paper, go to The Wisdom iStore. T116 may be located scrolling this GGiSTORE page.
Buy Published Technical Papers from the GGiSTORE.